Lima to host 2017 SportAccord World Combat Games
SportAccord has revealed Peru’s capital Lima as the host of the 2017 World Combat Games.
The third edition of the multisport competition, which will take place at the end of 2017, is expected to attract some 2,500 athletes in 33 disciplines and 135 categories.
The awarding of the event to Lima was made official by the signing of an agreement by SportAccord President Marius Vizer and Peru Olympic Committee President, IWF Vice President José Quiñones González.
A total of 16 sports, six of which are in the Olympic Games, will be contested at the World Combat Games. Weightlifting will be included to the programme for the first time.
It will be broadcast live around the world in more than 100 territories “The World Combat Games is a great event that will allow us to expose our city and country to the world,” Quiñones said.
The Peruvian Weightlifting Federation, under the guidance of President José Quiñones González organized several weightlifting competitions:
– 2007 University World Championships
– 2008 Olympic Games Qualification Pan American Championships
– 2010 YOG Qualification Youth Pan American Championships
– 2011 IWF Youth World Championships
– 2013 IWF Junior World Championships
– 2014 YOG Qualification Youth Pan American Championships
– and the soon starting 2015 IWF Youth World Championships
The IWF is very confident that under the leadership of Quiñones, the 2017 Combat Games and especially the weightlifting program will be an outstanding success.