IWF Development Program, Advanced Coaching Symposium
Due to the generous support of the IWF Development Program the Australian Weightlifting Federation was able to organize an Advanced Coaching Symposium for 20 participants at the Australian Institute of Sport, Canberra on the 21st-23rd October 2017.
The principle Presenter was Zygmunt Smalcerz (POL) former Olympic & World champion and later Coach of the Polish and USA National & Olympic teams and also member of the IWF Hall of Fame.
He was ably supported by:
- Professor Greg Haff (USA) President of National Strength and Conditioning Association USA. Professor at the Edith Cowan University, Perth
- Leo Isaac (AUS) former Olympic, World Championships & Commonwealth Games athlete and now National Team Coach Australia
- Lyn Jones (AUS) Member IWF Coaching & Research Committee
The presentations were as follows:
- Comparison of Polish & USA Weightlifting systems – problems and solutions by Zygmunt Smalcerz
- Periodisation of Weightlifting training by Greg Haff
- Programming of Training by Zygmunt Smalcerz
- High Performance Models by Leo Isaac.
- Assistance exercises for Senior & Junior weightlifters byZygmunt Smalcerz
- Long-term athlete development by Greg Haff
- Peaking and tapering for weightlifting competition by Greg Haff
- Special preparation for weightlifting competition by Zygmunt Smalcerz
- Warm-up for weightlifting training by Zygmunt Smalcerz.
- Changes in IWF Technical Rules and their effect on Coaching by Lyn Jones
The Symposium was a resounding success and was enjoyed and appreciated by all. There were also many interesting discussions among participants prompted by the presentations.
The Australian Weightlifting Federation would like to thank the Presenters for their inspirational work and information and the IWF Development Program for making this valuable venture possible.
Source: Lyn Jones IWF CRC Member, Director Australian Weightlifting Federation